This is one of those easy and delicious purees that I would have never thought to make because it isn't found on any grocery store shelf, yet you can make it at the drop of a hat and can be served from 4 months of age on.
And look at that amazing bright red color!
How yummy does that look?
Some would think that Red Bell Peppers would be an unusual choice for a starter baby puree but given that it is loaded with folate, vitamin A (from beta-carotene), vitamin B6 and vitamin C and when paired with a little white potato has a creamy, almost sweet taste to it makes it a perfect starter puree for any baby.
This recipe is just the beginning of some serious yummy dishes to come. Add some spices, yogurt, fruit, veggies, grains or even meat and you will have an endless rotation of great meals for your growing little one without all the fuss.
You could also...
- Mix in some plain organic greek yogurt for a soup like puree
- Steam an apple and handful of spinach along with the red peppers for a yummy combination puree
- Serve over brown rice with some shredded chicken
- Add 2 tbsp puree with strawberries, raspberries, banana, coconut milk and some flax seeds for a power toddler smoothie
- Mix with some pasta, parsley and grated cheese for meal time delight
Red Pepper Puree
2 organic Red Peppers
1 small organic white potato
Chop potato into small chunks [peeling is optional] and place in medium steam basket over medium/high heat for 10 minutes. Meanwhile core and de-seed the red peppers and chop into chunks or quarters. Add to steam basket and steam with potatoes for 5 -7 minutes. Let cool slightly and then puree in blender or food processor until smooth and creamy, adding water from steamer if needed.
I left this puree plain without any spices but you could easy add 1/4 clove garlic, a pinch of fresh thyme, cumin or even some parsley.